Tuesday, 27 February 2007

Carradice & Brooks touring bags


In the 1951 Brooks advertisement featured on this page it shows a saddle mounted touring bag. If you are not familiar with these, they were very popular amongst cyclists as most saddles were made of leather such as Brooks, Wrights etc and on the back of the saddle were metal bag loops in which these touring bags were attached. The bags were of various sizes from small day bags to larger touring bags suitable for long multi day touring & they also had side pouches in which you could stow away a puncture repair kit and spare tubes etc in case of an unexpected brake down. On top on the saddle bag were another pair of straps in which you could secure your rain cape as then it was ready at hand if the heavens suddenly opened. The bags were of great use to cyclists as you could stow away spare clothes, lunch, Thermos flask of tea and even your camera. These bags are still available today from Brooks of England the long established leather saddle manufacturer and in the last year or so they have re introduced two of their old touring bags again. You can view them at this site

http://www.brookssaddles.com/brooksengland.html

Another saddle bag manufactur is Carradice of England who has been making traditional saddle bags for the last 60 years in Lancashire , you can view their range of products at this address

http://www.carradice.co.uk/saddlebags/index.html

3 comments:

Shirt-Tail Organiser said...

Don, Good to see your lycra-free blog up and running. Should be very interesting to see your perspective of English cycling in Japan by a New Zealander. Keep up the good work and don't forget to stop for an ale or enjoy one of your beautiful pipes in the shade of an old oak. Jon Sharratt.

Hunor said...

I need your help. When I found your blog, I knew, you are the one.
I desperaetly need antique illustrations of bikeparts - the ones from old catalogues, just like the pic of the hub on your blog (right above the videos). I guess it's a Sturmey Archer:)

We are making a big Bicycle Festival (Films, exhibitions, concerts, etc.) in Budapest, Hungary. I'd like to use these pics for our site, flyers and publications. I need chainwheels mostly.
I couldn't find enough, that's why I'm asking for Your help.

You can contact me on: hunor.kiraly(a)gmail

Your blog is really good. Keep on!

Hunor said...

I need your help. When I found your blog, I knew, you are the one.
I desperaetly need antique illustrations of bikeparts - the ones from old catalogues, just like the pic of the hub on your blog (right above the videos). I guess it's a Sturmey Archer:)

We are making a big Bicycle Festival (Films, exhibitions, concerts, etc.) in Budapest, Hungary. I'd like to use these pics for our site, flyers and publications. I need chainwheels mostly.
I couldn't find enough, that's why I'm asking for Your help.

You can contact me on: hunor.kiraly(a)gmail

Your blog is really good. Keep on!