Sunday, 29 April 2007

On the road again


Well after four months of slowly restoring my Fathers 1947 Humber sports it's finally finished and now on the road again. It has worked out more expensive than buying a new MTB but I think it was worth the time & effort to keep a bike my Father purchased on the road. When my father purchased the bicycle he opted to have some extras put on it that you can see out lined in the specification list below. I have hunted around to find the correct period parts to put on it and all the parts that are currently on the bike would have either come as standard or optional extras ( apart from the modern cateye bicycle computer and the Brooks saddle rain cover ) . Listed below is the specification list for the bike

SPORTS model 321

FRAME: 20"
WHEELS: 26" x 1 3/4 Dunlop Endrick stainless steel rims with 14 g SS spokes
TYRES: National custom ( original made in New Zealand Dunlop tyres were too unsafe to use )
HUBS: Front quick release with wing nuts Rear Sturmey Archer ABC
GEAR: 3 Speed with Sturmey Archer trigger shifter
PEDALS: Gent's rat trap
HANDLEBAR: Medium drop Lauterwasser bars ( re chromed ) with adjustable stem
BRAKES: Front caliper Rear drum brake
SADDLE: Brooks B17 champion narrow in brown leather ( old saddle but not original )
FINISH: Frame & fork black enamel , Mudguards white enamel , usual bright parts chrome
EXTRAS: Raleigh NOS kickstand , Miller chrome bell ,Leather tool bag, pump, Cateye Strada bicycle computer, Brooks saddle rain cover, chain guard, Mudguard flap

I wanted to use my Lucas head lamp that runs off the Dynamo but the route I take to work has many so bumps and I have to use the footpath in some places and the headlamp clips that hold the glass kept coming off so I have had to install a modern ( plastic ) head light for safety.
The only new parts that were fitted to the Humber are the 14 gauge ss spokes, tyres & tubes, Cateye strada computer . So now it's finished I'll be introducing you to some of my favorite cycling areas in Niigata.

No comments: