Thursday, 7 August 2008

The Humber is on the road again




It gives me great joy to be able to inform you all that my 1947 Humber Sports is now back on the road again. I would also like to express my thanks to a fine Gentleman Cyclist by the name of Jon Sharratt ( The organizer of the 3 speed tour around lake Pepin in the US ) as without him my Humber would still be sitting idle in my spare room. Quite some time ago my Humber suffered a terrible mishap while I was riding it home from work one evening which resulted in the internal workings of my Sturmey Archer ABC 3 speed / drum brake hub exploding. After consulting Jon he offered to help me get the Humber back on the road again by rebuilding the hub for me while retaining the original hub shell, also he installed a larger rear cog for pass storming as I quite often head into the hills touring on my day off. As I only now have one vintage bicycle with me here in Japan and this bike is a family heirloom I was most keen to get it in running order again. All it needs now is a nice Carradice touring bag with support rack and I could go on overnight runs as well as day tours. Pictured above is the 1947 Humber sports with a larger rear cog fitted & new chain. At the top is a scan of the bike from the Humber 1947 - 1948 catalog.

2 comments:

DiF8 said...

Looks great! Glad to see it's tip top and on the road again.

每当遇见你 said...

Here’s a list of tools you will need to start: Jewelers’pandora jewellery wire cutters - If you can only afford one pair, get memory wire shears. pandora charms These are designed to make clean cuts on tough memory wire, so can also be used for pandora charms uk softer wires. Chain-nose pliers sometimes called cheap pandora charms needle-nose pliers – Very versatile for picking up and grasping small items, pandora charms sale bending eye pins, closing jumps rings, even closing crimp beads. discount pandora charms Round-nose pliers – Used for creating loops on beaded head and eye pins. Can also be used for winding your own jump rings and as the second pliers you’cheap pandora ll need for closing jump rings. Optional pliers – Wire-looping pliers which have several graduated circumferences to allow you to form perfectly uniform jump rings and loops in place of the pandora discount uk round-nose pliers mentioned above. Crimping pliers which have little notches to allow you to both flatten a crimp bead and then bend it to form a rounded finished look instead of the flat crimp you pandora uk get using the chain-nose pliers. As for materials, I recommend some assortment packs of beads in coordinating colors, some decorative metal spacers, seed beads in both silver and gold These can serve as spacers and beautifully set off pandora sale your other beads., tube-shaped crimp beads Buy the best you can find – these are what hold it all together!, head and eye pins. Other than that, let your choice of project be your guide. You might want some silver or pewter charms.