Sunday, 21 June 2009

A Celebratory ride




Well as I have resigned from the English school where I had been working for the last 4 years and last Friday was my final day I decided to celebrate my new found freedom by going out for a ride with my mate Brian. Recently we have not had the chance to get out cycling together very often because I used to work all day on Saturdays teaching and this was the 1st time in many years that I could get out for a ride on a Saturday. So we decided to return to Deyu onsen and take up the offer of a chat and a cup of tea with the owners of Seikokan Ryokan - a traditional Japanese inn , if you check my last ride report you will see photos of the building in question. After escaping the confines of Niigata city and crossing the mighty Agano river we were soon in the town of Suibara and by chance there was an flower festival being held so that was our first stop of the day.After stopping at the lake we took a small side road and stopped to take a photo of the traditional Japanese drum makers residence. Many years ago I purchased some high grade leather from him for which to make a hammock saddle for a high wheel bicycle that I was constructing at the time. Its very rare to find a drum maker these days producing these wonderful drums used by taiko drumming groups such as Kodo the world famous drum group based on Sado Island of the coast of Niigata.

Pictured above are the flower beds next to Hoyko lake where the festival was being held and the drum makers residence near the lake.

No comments: