Saturday, 11 July 2009

A morning's ride - part 3


As I was nearing Gosen I cycled over a railway bridge and as I was looking at the railway line I realized that it was Sunday and the SL Steam locomotive - Banetsu monogatari would have already departed from Niigata station as on the weekends the train runs excursions from Niigata city to the city of Aizuwakamatu in neighbouring Fukushima. I knew that it departed Niigata city at 9.30am and I then rang my mate Mic Sano to confirm if it would be running or not, he seemed to think it would be running so I picked a spot by the tracks and waited. Not long after a couple of other steam train buffs pulled up in their cars and set up their camera's as well. I had often thought it would be nice to get a photo of the Humber with the steam train in the background and now was my chance. I did not have to wait long before I heard the trains whistle in the distance and managed to get off one photo as it quickly speed past. My father who used to own my bicycle was also a steam train driver in NZ so I'm sure he'll like this photo.

If you ever get to Niigata please take a trip on the Banetsu Monogatari SL as it's a fantastic trip as it follows the agano river through the mountain to Aizuwakamatu and the scenery is fantastic.

The ride I did this morning was only 5 hours but it was nice to get out on the bike while the weather was cool as cycling in August in Japan is really hot & humid and most people don't go cycling as it's just too hot.

Pictured above is the Humber with the Banetsu Monogatari steam train in the background

2 comments:

simon said...

t picture. thought it was the kingston flyer.

Don Speden said...

Hi Simon

As I live in Japan it be a bit tricky to get a photo of my bike with the Kingston Flyer, but I would love to do some touring on the Humber back home in NZ one day