Monday, 4 January 2010

Winter projects




Well as you may know it's the middle of winter here in Japan and here in Niigata there is quite a lot of snow which makes cycle touring rather difficult. So it's a good time for winter projects to take place. My main cycle related projects are the construction on a custom made 52 inch replica ordinary bicycle for a customer in Tokyo which I'm looking forward to as it will be the 10th replica ordinary I have built since first building my own bike back in 1994. I have learnt a lot over the years about the construction of ordinary bicycles and I'm looking forward to trying some new construction methods with this bicycle which will make it look more authentic.

The other project is getting a late 1950s 27" Royal Enfeild club model restored and on the road for my cycling companion Brian who often joins me touring the local countryside. For some time now Brian has wanted a classic British bicycle for touring on and luckily the Enfeild was available from a fellow collector back in NZ. I used to own the bicycle several years ago but swapped it for a Raleigh RM1 moped and after swapping two Japanese bicycles and another old track racing frame I was able to get the Royal Enfeild back again. The frame has currently been re painted in New Zealand and will soon be shipped to Japan to be re assembled and finished off. Hopefully it will be on the road later this year and once I receive it from New Zealand I post some photos and up dates of it's restoration.

Apart from the two cycle projects above I was given a 1964 Vespa 50s from a kind neighbour up the street and I have slowing started rebuilding it so I can use it once the winter is over. I have decided to rebuild it rather than restore it as if I decided to keep it I may spend more money on it and have it repainted but in the meantime I am re painting the rims, giving the alloy parts a clean up and fitting new tires & tubes to make it road worthy again. I have always wanted a Vespa so I was rather happy to receive one for free , the model that I have is quite an early one from the second year of production.

Pictured above is one of my last replica ordinary bicycles that I built back in New Zealand, The Royal Enfeild and my Vespa

2 comments:

Showajitensha said...

Don
Love that counter! Nice touch. Thanks for posting the link to my blog. I have a ways to go with my blog and if I lean how to put up links I'll be sure to return the favor.
In the meantime I'd like to introduce your blog, with permission of course.

Don Speden said...

Hi Showajitensha

Thanks for the comments and yes you are welcome to introduce my blog on your site.

Cheers Don