Wednesday, 8 December 2010

1970s French Jeunet




Hi Everybody

Sorry I haven't blogged in a while but my job at the bicycle store is keeping me busy and with the recent weather I haven't been out on the Humber for quite a while. Just this week I took delivery of a nice 1970s French Jeunet racing bike as I had been thinking about buying a new racing bike but in the end I decided on a classic instead. The bike I purchased was built in the early 1970s in France and it was exported to the US as around that time there was a bike boom going on and many European makers were producing 27" road bicycles for the American market. Jeunet was a good quality bike boom model equipped with the following parts - 27" chromed steel Rigida rims with the textured braking surface, Mafac " Racer Brakes " , Simplex Prestige gearing, Normandy alloy high flange hubs , Universal cottered cranks with Eclair pedals etc. The frame is in good condition and with some more restoration it should look fantastic and it will make a nice commuter for work and will still be able to handle longer rides into the countryside. Once it's finished I'll post some more photos of it but the above photos show the condition is was when it was 1st purchased.

Cheers Don
Furumachi Bicycle

5 comments:

Traditional Bike Club Curmudgeon said...

That's quite a find - great shape.

Did you buy it in Japan or the USA?

Don Speden said...

Hi traditional Bike Club Curmudgeon

It was purchased from the USA and shipped to Japan, I don't think this brand was ever imported to Japan at all and for it's age it's in great shape. I'm swapping the front Suntour mech for a Simplex one and later on I'll fit a Brooks to it with a new pair of Nitto bars. Should be rather nice once finished.

Cheers Don

jerryleouiche said...

あなたは日本のですか?

O said...

Beautiful bike, should be a fine ride to work machine! Congratulations

crocodile said...

Nice bicycle and nicw blog.
Thank you!