Thursday, 20 October 2011

Surly 1 x 1 hub gear conversion







Just yesterday I built up a custom rear wheel for a customers 2010 Surly 1 x 1 limited edition model . The bike is now a 1 x 11 speed as I fitted to the rear wheel a Shimano Alfine 11 speed hub gear. Of course the bike is now a lot heavier but as a fan of hub gears and the low maintenance they offer, I love them as none of the gears are exposed to the elements and with the amount of rain and bad weather we get in Niigata you can be assured that they will remain trouble free. Hub gears are certainly not new and Sturmey Archer 3 speed hubs were first manufactured over 100 years ago in the UK. My personal bike which is a 1947 Humber Sports that is fitted with a Sturmey Archer 3 speed hub gear with a 90mm drum brake. I have not had to do any maintenance to it in the last 5 years since I restored it. Pictured above are a few photos of the Surly 1 x 1 and photos of the new wheel that I built.

No comments: