Thursday, 12 January 2012

I'll have a Kona Jake on ice thanks !





Well so far I have kept up my New Years resolution, cycle more use - my car less so even when it's snowing and - 1 deg I have been donning my thermals and water proof jacket for the 7 .4km ride into the city. There were a few people who said it wasn't possible as Niigata's winter gets pretty harsh as this time of the year with snow and ice. Last night while working accidents were already happening not far from my shop as an ambulance was called out to pick somebody up who had slipped badly while walking so I was a little worried about the ride home. But thankfully I managed to cycle home even on the ice without slipping. I did see 3 car accidents due to drivers going too quickly, car snow tyre's are fine in the snow but they aren't too great on thick black ice. The secret to not taking a fall is to ride in a mid range gear, not fast but not too slow, take the corners really wide and don't bother leaning while going around a corner and try to cycle as straight as possible, it you do hit a big patch of ice don't freak out just keep going slowing and the most important thing is don't touch your front brake and use your rear brake as little as you can. The Kona Jake has 700 x 32c Maxxis Mud Buster cyclo cross tyres and so far they have been fantastic in all conditions. This morning I rode into the city at around 8.30am and it was nice and sunny with a light layer of snow over the ice and 0 deg so it was quite nice and it was a pleasure to pass the long traffic jams and local buses with people crammed into them like sardines in a tin. As for my new bike I love it !, and am glad I decided to purchase a cyclo cross bike as my year round commuter.