Thursday, 10 May 2012

2012 Kona Jake review

well now that I have owned a 2012 Kona Jake for 6 months and have given it a good test I thought I should write a review on it. First up let me explain that most of my life has been spent riding MTBs & vintage bicycles so why did I purchase the Kona Jake ?, well since these days most of my cycling consists of a daily 16km commute into the city and back where I work as the manager / mechanic of a bicycle shop here in Niigata city , Japan and it often rains plus we get about 4 - 5 months of snow most years and the roads are rough I thought I'd try a cross bike as my main mode of transport. In fact I had never seen a Kona Jake in the flesh but the catalog picture looked pretty nice and the components that came on it for the price made it a fantastic deal - no wonder they sold out so quick !. The frame is made from Kona's Aluminium butted 7005 tubing and comes in the following sizes 47cm, 49c,, 53cm & 56cm with a Shimano 10 speed Tiagra / 105 drive train. The tyres are Maxxis Mud Wrestlers 700 x 32 mm although the catalog specs listed the tyre width at 35 mm. Since owning it I have ridden it to work everyday no matter what the weather and my New Years resolution was to cycle more and drive less so starting on the 3rd of Jan 2012 I rode the Jake to work in deep snow , much to my surprise it handled the snow with ease and once you selected the appropriate gear for the conditions it was rather easy to cycle in the snow and the mud buster tyres worked fine. Like most bicycles it came with cheap pedals so I quickly swapped them for a pair of Tioga surfoot MTB pedals with sealed bearings so I had plenty of grip when riding in my winter boots through the snow. I've since changed the WTB Valcon comp saddle which was fine for regular commutes but I found it uncomfortable on a 100km ride so have replaced it with a Brooks B17 instead. I did upgrade the Tektro Oryx cantilever brakes to some Tektro CR720s which have to be the best value cantilevers on the market, squeal free and very powerful !. So if you are looking for an aluminum cyclo cross bike to ride to work on no matter what the weather, a cross bike that will handle weekend races or you are keen to do some long distance touring - The Jake is the bike for you that is if you can find one still for sale . The Kona Jake sold out in Japan very quickly and since owning it I can now see why it did, it's great value for money and has not let me down once even in - 3 deg snowstorms. Pictured below are a few photos of the Jake , the catalog picture of what it looks like and my own bike since making a few changes to it. さて、私が2012Kona Jakeを所有して6カ月が経過して、その間色々と試してみたこともありますのでレビューを書くことにしました。まず最初にこれまでの人生の大半をMTBやビンテージ自転車に乗ってきた私がなぜKona Jakeを購入したのかを説明させてください。最近の私の自転車の使用は、ここ新潟市で私がマネジャー兼メカニックとして働いている自転車ショップまでの往復の通勤の1日16kmの使用です。この地域は雨が多くほとんど毎年4~5カ月間は雪に覆われます。道路もでこぼこがあるのでメインの移動手段としてクロスバイクを試してみたいと考えていました。実際のところ私はそれまで実物のKona Jakeを見たことはありませんでしたが、カタログの写真を見る限りではかなり良く見えましたし、装着されているパーツは価格の割にはとても素晴らしいものでした。直ぐに売り切れてしまうのも納得でした。フレームはKona製のアルミニウム接合管から成り、シマノ10速Tiagra/105のドライブトレインでサイズは43、49、53と56cmがあります。タイヤはカタログ掲載のスペックでは35mmとなっていましたが、Maxxis Mud Wrestlers700×32mmです。私がKona Jakeを所有するようになってからはどんな天気の日でも問題なく通勤に使用しています。私の今年の新年の抱負は「自転車の利用をより多くして、自動車の利用をより少なくする」ということでした。従って、1月3日から深い雪の中でJakeでの通勤を始めていますが、驚いたことに雪道での取り回しは容易で、更に路面の状況に応じた適切なギアを選択すればより容易になりますし、マッド用タイヤは非常に良く効きました。ほとんど多くの自転車がそうであるように最初は安物のペダルが装着されていましたが、私は直ぐにシールドベアリング付きのTioga surfoot MTBペダルに取り替えておきましたので、雪の中で冬用ブーツで乗っても十分なグリップを得ることができました。サドルはWTB Valcon compサドルを取り付けていましたが、それは普段の通勤には十分ですが100kmの自転車行には不向きだと分かったのでBrooks B17に取り替えました。また、Tektro OryxカンチブレーキはTektro CR720sにアップグレードしましたが、このブレーキはキーキーきしむ音を出さず非常に強力に効くので市販のカンチブレーキの中では最高のものです。どんな天候の時でも通勤に使えるようなアルミニウム製のシクロクロス用バイクや週末のレースに使うようなクロスバイクを探している方、または長距離のツーリングをしてみたいと考えている方、こんな方々にはJakeが最適です。もっとも、まだ売りに出されているJakeを見つけることができればの話ですが。Kona Jakeは日本ではあっという間に売り切れてしまいましたが、私はKona Jakeを所有してみてその理由が分かりました。価格以上の大きな価値を持っているのです。なにしろ、零下3度の吹雪の中でも一度も私を失望させたことがありません。下の写真はJakeの写真ですが、カタログ掲載のものと少し手を加えた後の私のJakeです。