Wednesday, 2 May 2012

Niigata , Yahiko , Iwamuro 100km loop part 2

After following the coast road along to the Bunsui canal I took a left and rode along the side of the Bunsui until I reached route 2 which heads towards Yahiko village. By this time I had almost drained my 2 ltr Camelback hydration bladder and was in some serious need of more water so when a local information center appeared I stopped to refill my water supplies and by this time it was 27 deg and pretty hot which is very strange for May !. After pressing on I soon arrived in Yahiko village and enjoyed the rolling hills down to the nearby village of Iwamuro which is famous for it's hot springs and after leaving the outskirts of Iwamuro I decided to try a mountain pass road that would lead me back over the mountain to the coast that I had ridden up early that day. Right near the crest of the climb I noticed something strange with my rear wheel and quickly dismounted to discover a puncture. After expressing my feelings with some popular swear words I took out the rear wheel and used the water ditch at the side of the footpath to hold my bicycle, just drop the wheel in the ditch and place your cranks evenly and the saddle makes a great work stand to place your tube on while sanding it down for a patch. After fitting the patch and testing the tube I then inspected the tyre for the cause of the puncture which when located was a small shard of metal , this is why you must always carry repair tools, patch kit and a pump on every ride. It was my 1st puncture in 6 years so I've been pretty lucky I guess. After a nice long downhill I entered a small fishing village on the coast and had to face some long hard climbs and the long tunnels I had ridden through earlier that day. The return leg from Kakuda beach back into Niigata city seemed to take forever as there was a strong head wind and plenty of sand getting blown about which wasn't so pleasant. Around this time I came to realize that the stock saddle on the Kona was fine for around town but even though I was wearing good quality cycle shorts,my ass was not feeling the best. I guess I have been using Brooks leather saddles for so long that a modern saddle does not suit me at all so in the near future I'll be putting my broken in Brooks B17 on the Kona for comfort. I'm not a racer so I don't care about the Brooks being heavier and in my view cycling is supposed to be an enjoyable activity so a comfortable saddle is a must.Pictured below are a selection of photos from Yahiko & the mountain pass 海沿いの道を大河津分水まで進み、左折して弥彦村に通じる県道2号まで進みました。 この時までに、私の2リットルのキャメルバック・ハイドレーション・ブラッダーはほとんど空になっていて水の補給が必要でした。そこで地元のインフォメーションセンターが見えた時に水の補給のために立ち寄りました。この時点で気温はすでに27度と5月にしてはなんとも暑い日となっていました。暑さにめげずに進むと直ぐに弥彦村に到着し、そこから近くにある温泉で有名な岩室村に向かって起伏のある丘を快適に下りました。岩室村の周辺を離れた後で、私は山の向こう側の今朝通った海岸を目指して峠越えの道に挑戦することにしました。ちょうど峠に差し掛かった頃に、私は後輪に異常を感じたので直ぐに自転車を降りたところ、なんと後輪がパンクしているではありませんか。私は思わず口汚い言葉を叫んでしまいましたが、直ぐに後輪を外して道路わきの側溝を利用して自転車を立てました。車輪を側溝に入れてクランクを水平に保つとサドルがちょうど良い作業スタンドになり、パンクしたチューブを掛けてパッチ当てのために磨くことができました。パッチを当ててチューブをテストした後でパンクの原因を探るためにタイヤを詳しく調べてみました。パンクの原因は小さな金属片でした。こういうことがあるから、自転車に乗る時はいつも工具、パッチキット、ポンプを携行しなければいけないんですね。これが私にとっては6年間で初めてのパンクでしたが、かなりラッキーだったんだと思います。快適な長いダウンヒルが続いた後で海岸沿いの小さな漁村に着きましたが、ここから先は今朝通って来た長くて困難な登り坂と長いトンネルに直面しなければなりません。角田浜から新潟市への帰り道は、強い向かい風と吹きつける大量の砂のために決して快適とは言えず、永遠に時間がかかるのではないかと思うほどでした。この頃には、私は普段Konaで使っているこのサドルは街乗りには十分だけれど今回は不向きだったと実感していました。その時、私は上質な自転車用のショーツを穿いていましたが、私のお尻は決して快適ではなかったのですから。私は長い間ブルックスのレザーサドルを使用していたので最新のサドルが合わないんですね。近いうちに使い慣れたブルックスのB17をKonaに取り付けてもっと快適にしようと思っています。私の考えでは、サイクリングは楽しめるアクティビティであるべきです。そのためには快適なサドルは必須です。下の写真は「弥彦」と「峠越え」から選んだものです。