Monday, 25 February 2013

Kona Unit custom

Well as mentioned in a previous post I had been waiting on a couple of parts to finish upgrading the Kona Unit to make it more suitable for commuting and longer distance riding. Just the other day I fitted a new Salsa Pro Moto 3, 100mm stem in 15 deg which now gives me a far better riding position than the short 70mm stem at only 6 deg rise.  The other part that I fitted was one of Surlys fantastic stainless steel 4mm thick single speed cassette cogs in size 13T so now I can ride at a reasonably fast pace . Surly makes a great range of cassette cogs with the smallest available the 13T that I ordered , using a cassette hub on a single speed in my opinion is the best way to go as it gives you the option to fit a wide range of different sized rear cogs compared to the limited choices currently available in single speed freewheels.


Pictured above is the new Salsa Pro moto 3 100mm, 15 deg stem , a great value stem for the money with a nice solid wide 4 bolt clamp area .


The new rear 13 T stainless steel cassette cog was easily fitted by removing a couple of links from the chain and sliding the dropouts back at little. If you are interested in purchasing a 29 er single speed check out the Kona Unit and take it for a test ride. The standard rear 18 T cog  that comes stock on the unit is designed for off road use but easily changed to give more speed if needed. 


The photo above was taken on the ride into work this morning, the Kona handles the snow rather well once you let some of the pressure of of the Maxxis Ikon tyres which provide great grip in most conditions. This morning there was still a lot of ice about so I have been riding slowly to and from work each day. Yesterday Feb 24th was the worst winter conditions I have ever cycled in as the entire city iced over mid afternoon and a strong wind blew in from the sea of Japan . I had a company meeting that finished around 9.30pm at night and by then it was - 4 deg with snow and strong winds. Amazingly I did not slip in the ice but could not feel my hands on the ride home and thawing my hands out under warm water on arriving home was very painful. I used all my best colorful language on the ride home but alas it did not really help the situation at all. I think now that next winter I will be investing on some good quality pogies  ( winter handlebar grip covers ) to protect my hands from the extreme cold winds we often get here as cycling with frozen hands is dangerous and not a lot of fun. Roll on spring !



2 comments:

daryl lister said...

hi don,how do you stay on the pedals in those conditions, i,m useing zefal plastic toe clips as i still dont like the idea of locking my feet in and toe clips mean i can wear my fake nike shoes and i can still stand up with security. i have a facebook page under my name and breathestrongcycling so you can see the conditions where i,m riding. p/s i,m still waiting for you to fit a s/a hub and a brooks to your new ride

Don Speden said...

Hi Daryl

At present I&m am using the nice wide fitting Kona Jack Shit pedals that came with the bike - yes that is the real name of the pedals !. I pulled them apart and repacked them and they are working fine for the moment and as I am riding in winter hiking boots at present the pedals are fine. I only used SPD pedals when I raced MTBs back in NZ since them I prefer platform pedals with pins for everyday riding. Toe clips or SPDs in winter would also be a bad idea I think with all the ice around. I will keep it as a single speed for a year to see how I get on and maybe in the spring I will fit a Brooks saddle to it as well.