Wednesday, 27 March 2013

Revelate frame bag !

When I became interested in doing some overnight cycle tours for 2013, I decided to give bike packing a go as in the past on long tours I have used traditional rack and pannier bag systems , but this time I am using my 2013 Kona Unit single speed 29er with a NZ designed Freeload rack ( man those kiwis are smart ) and a Porcelain  Rocket - Mission control handle bar set up ( mainly for keeping my sleeping bag dry ) and today my final piece of bike packing kit arrived which is a Revelate frame bag, this particular bag is made for the Salsa El Mariachi frame and the S size fits my Kona 16 inch frame perfect as you can see in the photos below. At present its main duty is to carry my 110cm Abus lock, bike pump and tool kit plus my Ground Effect wet weather kit - Jacket and pants so like the good boy scout I am prepared for anything on a daily basis . I am very impressed with the Revelate frame bag as its the perfect size for my frame and looks very well made, so now I am looking forward to some warmer weather so I can do a few local overnight bike packing trips before heading away on a week long trip near the end of the year .




6 comments:

Ἀντισθένης said...

Revelate is good stuff. I have the seat bag in the link, below. Well made and designed. Sadly, I use mine only for commuting, but that and a handlebar bag means I don't need heavy racks and panniers: which when you have you tend to overload with inessentials.

https://www.revelatedesigns.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=store.catalog&CategoryID=4&ProductID=1

Ἀντισθένης said...

I am not the greatest fan of frame bags, though. A great concept, but I find if I put in any volume my knees rub, and they interfere with having two bottles easily at hand. Some of the custom ones might work better.

http://gypsybytrade.wordpress.com/tag/bikepacking-bags/

Ἀντισθένης said...

Sorry, third post...

Here's a neat handlebar bag trick to free up room and centre the weight in your steering better. Use the piece in the first link, like in the picture in the second: you may want to saw off the sides if knees interfere when out of the saddle.

http://www.sjscycles.co.uk/thorn-accessory-bar-t-shaped-55-mm-extension-0-deg-prod11041/?geoc=jp

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-g01x9-i_f_Y/UM2UIdZGTrI/AAAAAAAAAM0/uuTNCDOemFQ/s640/20121216182209.jpg

llewellyn said...

Nice setup , shame the Kiwis sold their system to Thule, it is now a very expensive system to buy, I left my purchase way too late.

Don Speden said...

Yeah I guess one downside of having a frame bag on any type of bike is it will interfere with your water bottle mounts, but as I have been using the Camelbak system now for years I am used to carrying 2ltrs on my back and like it. Selling the Freeload design was the best way for the Kiwi designers to get their product into more countries and no doubt it was a lot cheaper before Thule took over the marketing and branding of it. My new Freeload rack is comparable or cheaper with other good quality rack systems and it does not have Thule stamped on it anywhere , maybe the racks sold in Japan are old stock but I really like it and looking forward to putting my old Fairydown Alpine tent upon it and doing a few overnights.

necmettin karadağlı said...

Sex Shop ve Erotik Shop sektöründe faaliyet gösteren firmamızda bütün Seks Shop ürünlerini bulabilir ve kapıda ödeme seçeneği ile teslim alırken ödemesini yapabilirsiniz.
Gizlilik temel prensibimizdir kargolarımız kapalı kutularda kozmetik ürün olarak taşınır paketlerin üzerinde Erotik Shop ve Sex Shop ibareleri ile iç giyim reklamları bulunmaz
Firmamız 7/24 hizmet vermektedir ve bütün iller ile kıbrıs’ a ürün gönderimi yapılmaktadır.