Thursday, 18 April 2013

First long ride for 2013 !

Well as the weather recently has improved and a few of my customers had been on a ride out along the seaside line to the mountain village of Yahiko, I thought I better make use of my next day off so I left home early and headed out along the seaside road towards Kakuda hama and took a short detour through the newly formed concrete road that passes by Cave Docci winery and resort spa and the area is now home to two other new wineries as well. It was nice to see a decent road considering the amount of traffic that visits that location. The winery workers were busy pruning vines when I stopped across the road for a rest. At that time of the day the mountain was still covered mist but by midday things improved. Pictured below is a photo taken showing the vines at the winery with Mt Kakuda in the background.


After my brief stop at the winery I pressed on and took my usual short cut through several small villages that skirt the base of Mt Kakuda and pass by the golf course. The day was starting to warm up and by the time I got to Yahiko village itself  the weather was really nice. This run was a bit of a test for me as my boss at Furumachi Bicycle has signed me up for the Niigata City ride which is being held for the 1st time on June 16th of this year and I have been entered in the 120km course on a Surly Pugsly - Fat Bike !. I have often ridden distances far greater and have even completed a century run on a 50 inch ordinary ( high wheel bicycle ) but the 1st ride of the year is always a bit tough even though I cycle every day. Also it was the furthest I have ever ridden a single speed MTB and luckily managed to ride up all the hills, I certainly do not think this will be possible loaded with bike packing gear ! . My new choice in footwear proved to be very comfortable and waterproof and the perfect fit for my large Odyssey - twisted pc platform pedals . In Yahiko Village I treated myself to a nice bowl of Sansai ( mountain wild vegetables )  Udon and a well deserved beer. The cherry blossoms are now in full bloom at least in Niigata ken and the photo taken below at Yahiko park shows how spectacular they are in full bloom. Upon returning to Niigata city it started to rain but as my ride was almost finished I did not really care after riding 75km on a single speed !



2 comments:

daryl lister said...

i,ve been mapping all my rides on mapmyride.com as i don,t own a cycle computer yet, it,s nice knowing the distances and elevations, can,t imagine doing them without my favorite granny gear. Any issues with leg clearance on the bag?

Don Speden said...

Hi Daryl

Yes I too do not have a computer mounted on my current bike and I just use the online pedometer to figure out the distance but I will check out mapmyride.com to see what it is like. The frame bag is fine and there is no problem with leg clearance at all, they are a good investment and now I do not need to carry a backpack to work anymore which is nice.