Thursday, 27 June 2013

Current bike packing set up



Well after my first bike packing trip I was able to figure out if the items I have chosen are suitable for long distance touring. My plan is to test the above set up on several overnight bike packing trips locally increasing the distance each time before I take off on a 5-6 day trip in early Oct. Basically everything worked well, The Porcelain  Rocket handlebar set up was a fantastic investment - not cheap but very well made and works perfectly for keeping a sleeping bag and spare clothes dry which are concealed inside an OR dry bag, the front pocket is great for smaller items which you need easy access to such as money, camera etc. The Revelate  Designs frame bag was designed for a Salsa but fits my Kona unit perfectly and stays on the bike everyday - great for carry my repair kit and mini pump and a Abus chain lock. The Freeload TR-1 is super stable and has plenty of attachment points for securing a load such as a tent in a dry bag. I am thinking of improving my sleeping equipment with a better air mattress which can fold down smaller and a blow up pillow for a better nights sleep. 

Listed below is what I took on my trip the other week and with everything loaded up my average speed was 20km per hour, although because I am running  33T chainring - 13T rear cog I was forced to walk on a steeper section. I was considering adding some gears to the unit either a Sturmey Archer or Shimano alfine IGH but for now I think I will keep it as a single speed , I may regret that after my Oct tour !. 

Bikepacking gear list
Front bag - porcelain Rocket handle bar set up
Main bag compartment
Southfeild sleeping bag
Front pocket , stove windscreen , 10 x lightweight alloy tent pegs , large pack towel, camera plus ultrapod, wallet, phone
 Revelate frame bag size S
Cooking set - 1 x Alloy rectangle set containing the following items Trangia burner & base
lighter & matches , pot scrub, KFS set, first aid kit
Ground effect helter skelter waterproof pants
Montbell bag containg the tool kit
Shimano bicycle pump
 Freeload TR - 1 rear rack system
Ortleib dry bag containg the following
Fairydown 2 man alpine tent
Tent poles
Captain stag sleeping pad
Camelbak Blowfish
2 ltrs of water
Ground Effect jacket
Food items, Petzel head torch, cooking fuel
spare socks, underwear , ground effect sub merino

book or magazine

No comments: