Friday, 20 September 2013

Niigata to Snow Peak HQ - part 2

 One reason for this trip was to check out the road I need to take that will lead me into Fukushima for my up coming 6 day bike packing tour in Oct and Snow Peak HQ will be were I spend my 1st night on tour. I had only been to Snow Peak HQ once in the middle of winter for the Surly 7 salsa Fat Bike demo weekend which was a lot of fun but everything sure looked different with the deep snow around. The sign posts pointing me in the right direction of Snow Peak HQ made finding the place rather easy. I reached there about 12pm and looking back now it would have been a good idea to have eaten at a roadside shokudo before heading there as I ended up buying some over priced Snow Peak branded soup for lunch which was pretty good with the local beer they also had on sale. I ended up taking a long afternoon nap which then made it very difficult to finally get to sleep ( lesson learnt no more afternoon naps whilst on tour ) . The camp site was fantastic and I took a good look at their in house shop featuring all their branded goods, although their nice lightweight tent had a label that said made in China , I guess they can not make everything on site ! . A few other day campers were there , but by dusk it was just me and a middle aged couple with a 4x4 and a ton of outdoor gear, they could not believe I had ridden route 290 through the mountains and everything I needed was on the bike. It was nice to be able to use their showers and kitchen facilities any time day or night and the staff were very helpful. Pictured below are a few photos from Snow Peak HQ

 









2 comments:

Tim Mordaunt said...

Don, your blog is excellent and you have inspired me to go down the SS route. I am keen on the Unit after seeing how versatile you have made yours. Like you I am looking at a small frame size and would like to know your approx height. Keep up the good blogging. Cheers, Tim.

Tim Mordaunt said...

Don, your blog is excellent and you have inspired me to go down the SS route. I am keen on the Unit after seeing how versatile you have made yours. Like you I am looking at a small frame size and would like to know your approx height. Keep up the good blogging. Cheers, Tim.