Friday, 11 October 2013

Oct 5 day bike packing tour


Well first of all I would like to explain the reason behind doing my recently completed tour into Fukushima & back. Back in the mid 1990s in my home country of New Zealand, I rode right around the South Island with a mate covering a distance of 3000 kms in 3 months exploring my own country before departing overseas . That first tour I was a total beginner but learnt quite a lot and the next long tour was of Northern Thailand in 1997 , another 3000km tour !. Fast forward to 2013 I made it one of my New Year resolutions that I would get out for 3 local over night tours and one longer tour in Oct. Now back working in the bicycle industry again as manager and mechanic of Furumachi Bicycle located here in Niigata city, Japan I was keen to try something new , a long tour on a single speed 29 mtb loaded with bike packing bags instead of traditional racks and panniers. The posts that follow describe my 5 day adventure which turned out to be the toughest short tour I have ever done in my entire life, but a fantastic adventure. 

No comments: