Monday, 20 October 2014

Oct 5 day tour - part 5

After a great sleep at Alps backpackers in Hakuba I hit the road at 6am , rode to the nearest 7/11 for breakfast and food for the days ride which was to be Tokamachi. The scenery from Hakuba to Nagano city was fantastic with trad small villages and beautiful lakes. One road I ended up on had a warning sign that said it was a 9% downhill for 4 km which was awesome riding along at 60km per hour without pedaling. It took forever to get through Nagano city as it is very spread out, I did stop at Dennys for a 2nd breakfast , but by the time I was on the outskirts of Nagano it had started raining and never let up.













Finally at 2.30pm after having ridden 100km I pulled into a roadside rest area in Ieyama  and saw that there was a train station nearby , so rode down to check it out and saw that a train left at 4pm heading out of Nagano which would allow me to take connecting trains all the way back to Niigata city. But I had one big problem as I had not bought my bicycle rinko bag with me that I needed to put my bike in , you need your bike fully wrapped to be able to board any trains in Japan.  With 1 hour to spare I rode to the nearest home center bought a huge blue plastic sheet for 400 yen plus a 25mtr roll of tape for 100 yen and made an improvised rinko bag in a hurry before boarding the train at 4pm  and arriving back in Niigata city at 7pm . It was a shame to finish one day early , but it was not pleasant cycling in heavy rain and sitting here typing this blog it's still raining heavy so I am sure I made the best decision to retire early. Even though some days were pretty tough it was a great tour and glad I went and experienced my 1st ever single speed MTB champs









1 comment:

Brenton said...

Great stuff! I love reading about this kind of thing in Japan.